Monday, June 26, 2006 by Ospite.


Cops aren't the only ones who use it. Waiters do too. There are certain assumptions made about a table long before the waiter greets them. They read you like a potential boss would, as soon as you walk in the door for an interview. Clothes, hair, attractive features, conversation styles, body language, and skin color.

Now, I am a firm believer that, for the most part, the attitude with which you approach a table is the attitude that will be returned to you. Waiting tables, or anything in the service industry, is a constant sales opportunity. Sales involves reading the customer, learning their needs first, then their wants, and then convincing them they need just a little more than they need, and the cost is justified.

There is still the initial part of meeting the customer's needs. Most people can see when they're being played and will get defensive. A good salesman helps the customer get the best thing for them. A happy customer or client is an instant advertisement, and the best kind, a testimonial.

So why is it that most waiters see certain tables and immediately approach them with bad attitudes? Stereotypes. Sadly, most stereotypes stem from some sort of truth. Based on my experiences and those of my colleagues, I have decided recently to approach the possibly poor tipping tables with confidance, poise, and congeniality. I am pleased to announce that among non-caucasian customers and non-American customers, I have proved that a little kindness goes a long way...at least in my restaurant.

My study over the past month has displayed an increase in the aforementioned ethnic groups tips based solely on my behavior. It goes to show that things like this are completely unacceptable:

  • A waiter is sat a 3top in his section. They are clearly of Indian heritage and are speaking Hindi upon listening in. This waiter, having issues with Indian and Asian customers, approaches the table saying, "So does anyone here not drink alcohol or consider themselves a vegetarian?" The male gives the waiter the most ferocious look I've ever seen. The tip ends up 4%. With an introduction like that and service along the same suit, how could he expect anything more?
  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger Kristie said...

    I know from experience that servers do "size up a table" before they get to the customer. I have made it a habit to ignore any thoughts or feelings i have about a table and just treat them all as if they are all leaving me the same big-fat tip. And sometimes it pays off. Sometimes it doesnt. Now, after i have taken the order or brought the food, if the table is being rude to me, i will be less inclined to go that extra mile, but if they are nice, then i take that as part of my tip. I would rather serve nice, easy going bad tippers than jack ass good tippers anyday. just less stressful. And my fav table is these 3 teenage boys who come in and leave me 40% every time. No one else wants em b/c they think they wont tip. Its my secret!!

    9:28 AM  
    Blogger Lobster Boy said...

    Those times though (and in our store it's all too frequent, especially after 9:00pm) where your table comes in, never puts thier cell phone down and orders shots of Hennesey in the middle of your greeting you know it's not going to be a good table. It goes far beyond racial profiling though, as any experienced waiter will know. I intentionally suggest different things (of equal value for the most part) in my table approach because my years of experience tells me this particular demographic prefers this item at a significantly higher rate. I know that little old ladies love Coconut Shrimp. I have no idea why that is, but I use it to my advantage by always suggesting them. Stereotypes are certainly not always true. But what I do know is that if you work in a particular place long enough you discover local trends that may or may not match stereotypes, but are yet true for your region. This can be used to your advantage as a server.

    Lobster Boy

    8:21 AM  
    Blogger Insensible said...

    WTF is up with slimbim?

    I have yet to profile a table that I had not already personally served. Although I have made it a point to remember anyone who has given me a shit tip on more then one occasion.

    Everyone gets one chance.

    9:30 PM  
    Blogger dev said...

    I was just trying to add a little color.

    7:51 PM  

    « Home | Post a Comment »

    At your service, Ospite

    I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

    lackluster profile

    Powered by Blogger |