Saturday, June 03, 2006 by Ospite.


So far, this May and into June have been a bit bizarre. We have not yet found the restaurant's rhythm. I blame the weather, as always. Hot, to cold and rain, to humid, and back again.

Memorial Day was our rush. After that, we have run slow almost every night. Half of the waiters hate it because the turnover is slower, less tip frequency, etc. The other half are the ones who know how to milk a table for tips, taking advantage of a little more time spent at each table. While they don't appreciate the slowness, they know how to not sit idley around complaining.

Kerrie is one such waitress. We were remarkably slow Wednesday afternoon. Kerrie had two tables, the first of which having a mother and two sons (c. 3 and 5 years old), the latter having several middle aged men. I walked by only to hear the following conversation:

Kerrie: Anything to drink?
Customer: Beer
K: Do you have ID?
C: My mother has it.
K: Well, you're a little short for me to believe you, but what kind do you want?
C: Bud
K: I'll see what I can do for you.

The customer, was the five year old boy. During the conversation, his mother wrote "apple juice" on a small piece of paper.

1 Comments:

Blogger Logical Philosopher said...

If I serve milk at dinner in a shot glass my 3 year old will drink it. "Ahhh, whisky!" he exclaims as he polishes it off. Milk in a cup - no way. Thanks Grandpa for teaching him that.

Even at 3 it's all in the presentation...

10:33 PM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |