Wednesday, August 02, 2006 by Ospite.


68F target goal. Actual temperature: 81F.

"Why is it so hot in here? Don't you guys have air conditioning?"
"Yes sir we do, but between the kitchen and the actual bodies in the restaurant, we can't seem to keep the heat down."
"Why is it so busy?"
"Do you have air conditioning at home?"
"You better believe it."
"Would you want to cook in your house if you didn't?"
"Good point."

If I can say one thing for the heat, it's driving customers in the door. I suppose they all want to stay out of the cancer-causing rays and don't want to sweat while standing still. The main issue here is that our air conditioners are working overtime trying to cool down the dining room which is a difficult task considering that half our kitchen is external. The heat put out by a sardine-esque filled floor tends to raise temps a bit too.

Caitlin wandered over to me wiping her forehead after taking care of a particularly demanding table, "You know it's far too hot when you break a sweat grating cheese."

It's times like these I'm particularly glad we don't have an out-door dining service.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Behind the tarmac lorry on my building site last week the temperature hit 140F.
Still rather have my job though.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Arhyarion said...

I heard a clip on the radio yesterday in which the manager at Mark's Pizzeria on Monroe Ave. stated that the temperature inside his shop read 165ยบ. I can't imagine how much that would suck. Just remember to hydrate lads.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Down here in Florida, our thermostat in the psuedo-indoor restaurant where I work is reading 92...with 100% humidity. Unfortunately not a soul exists down here without AC and needless to say my bank account is now reading at about 16 bucks.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I found your blog linked through another and I must say that it has been a very good read. Keep up the good work. Turn and burn.

6:05 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |