Sunday, June 10, 2007 by Ospite.


This last week has been a jumble of directions, advice, and decisions.

I sat down for my non-interview with the owner (Topher) of the Bistro to talk about the job description of Front End Manager for his place. We chatted about details and money and hours. I then went back to the Trattoria to discuss my future there with my general manager. I was shocked to find that they had no issues with me immediately dropping my shifts down to only 3 lunches per week.

I have to say that I've been greatly impressed by two of my four managers at the Trattoria and I immediately went to them to hear their opinions when I was offered my management job. I knew they'd give me legit sound advice.

So later that night I returned to the Bistro to catch up with Topher and finish our open-ended conversation. Sealed with a handshake, I became the Front End Manager of a chic little bistro. Standing at the bar, several of the employees were chatting it up and asked me how my own conversation went. I gave them the good news.

Right off the bat, I picked out my number one problem girl: Gabby. Gabrielle full version, not Gabby because she's chatty, although fitting. She's young and presently a hostess...a position my Bistro doesn't really need, and a position Topher and I discussed getting rid of. She drinks wine on duty when no one's looking, talks to friends instead of paying attention to customers, and hits on guys that I frankly find frightening.

"So are you in?"
"Yup. Just got done talking to Topher."
"Doin what? Bartending or waiting tables?"
"I'll be your manager."
"...really."
"Yeah."
"You have experience with that?"
"I do. At my present position I was hired to clean house in the host department. You know, reorganize that section of the staff, retrain those who needed it and hire and train new ones. No more slackers in that department."

she chuckled nervously, "you mean...like me."
I chuckled back, looked her dead in the eye and said "Exactly."

I start at the end of this week. It promises to be fun.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new position! Can't wait to hear how Gabby screws herself out of a job.

10:38 PM  
Blogger caramaena said...

congrats - Gabby sounds scared already.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New reader, first time poster.

Gabby = toast

Where were you when I was waiting tables oh so many years ago???

6:47 AM  
Blogger Girl In A Gi said...

Good luck with the new position!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Augs Casa said...

this promises to bring even more interesting posts. I look forward to them. Congrats!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new position! I look forward to some new stories regarding your transition to this new role.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Manuel said...

check you out! Hard ass already! well done though

6:40 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Congrats on the promotion. Sounds like Gabby's already seen the writing on the wall. I look forward to hearing of her demise. Wow, that sounds really heartless.

Steve
Liquor Store Stories

6:55 PM  
Blogger tazzie said...

(forgive me any current hosts/hostesses out there) What the hell is up with Hosts and Hostesses now days??? I did waitressing/hostessing when I was pregnant with my first child. We followed a flow chart, kept track of what table was sat, cleaned off, just getting their dinners, ect. Helped buss tables, if we need pple were in the weeds we helped with drink orders, even sometimes app. orders. We warned tables when there would be a wait for the kitchen to catch up even. I go hang out at the old place every few weekends (my husband works there still) And I still end up hostessing!! With a baby on my hip!! Just because the new girls can't be bothered to do their jobs. I understand that, it really is the least paid position in the entire place. And, I know that no position is "easy" in a restaurant. Every spot has it's points of contention. But it does have the best hours, and it isn't brain surgery. As long as your organized it should be pretty simple to keep things neat.

Sorry this has been a sore point with me for the last few months now :)

Tazzie

7:40 PM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |