Sunday, October 01, 2006 by Ospite.


I normally toss a couple posts a week your way, but this week I ran into issues. Internet was down, which was the first problem. Second was that this week was remarkably boring.

There were no customers that stood out. There were no huge issues with employees, just the same old run of the mill stuff that goes on. It's October and the rent is due, that's about it.

My old college had homecoming this weekend and my wife decided to run their annual 5k (she too is an alum there) so I figured I'd go and be supportive. I skipped homecoming weekend last year and the year before. I usually prefer to not "catch up" and play the congenial game. The people I want to keep up with, I do, the rest...well, we don't talk because I don't care.

Of course, I can't say that to their faces as we talk about "how great life is" and "what everyone's doing these days" or "did you hear so and so had their third kid?!"

The most interesting part is that this was the first homecoming I'd been to since I started waiting tables. Granted I'm in the middle of a crapload of other things and waiting tables is my steady-money "day job," but when people say "What're you doing with yourself these days?" and I reply with "Well, I wait tables at The Trattoria" it feels overshadowed by their "Ah. Yeah. I'm working on my PhD now." I hate the bragging game so I try and talk up my wife's degree's and accomplishments. But I love my life and the insane hours I keep working on 900 things at a time. I love the schedule I get to work at the restaurant. I love everthing I've got my hands in now and I've got nothing to prove. So for all you people who go back to homecoming to brag about what you do now, how far you've come, and where you're going with your brilliance, please spare us the gory details that make us suicidal. If we wanted to know, we'd look you up.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ranter said...

Wow, can't wait. I have my 5 year high school reunion coming up, and have lost contact with most of my high school friends, but just can't wait til we all get to meet up and rehash what we've been up to. Great. I'll still be at uni and working in my exciting retail job. Some will be finishing their medical degrees and I'll still be there in my 3 year course.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Don't feel so bad!! What would make a person suicidal is for that person to earn their PhD and earn crap money at whatever job they get. Because that's pretty much what happens.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Ceetar said...

gotta figure the typical braggers tend to hate their job and are just looking for some satisfaction by snubbing others. :-)

I'll have to think up a particularly crazy story for myself. I should take cues from that beer commercial, real men of genius. I'll tell everyone i'm that NBA sweat wipper upper guy.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished reading the archives - they're quite amusing. Great job!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Thy said...

as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what you do.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your blog.

3:39 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |