Monday, September 11, 2006 by Ospite.


Regular groove for a weekend night. I'm up front training the new wave of hosts and we're on a wait. They walk through the door, a young relatively alternative couple. He had tattoos from hands to shoulders, black hair spiked a bit save for the bangs which were pushed down...very emo. Black tshirt and jeans. The girl was similarly clad with multiple facial piercings.

This is normally the kind of couple that waiters can't stand getting. Cheap and slow.

Surprisingly, they were extremely congenial, polite, considerate. They were pleasant about the wait time and didn't give us a hassle when we blew the quote time a bit. I took them back to their table and due to their kindness, checked up on them from time to time.

They stuck around a little bit, but nothing beyond a normally long dinner. When the waitress stopped by to take the check she asked if they needed change, got the "you're all set, thanks for everything" reply. She walked back to the kitchen, opened the book to double check the amount left. She turned white.

"Did they stiff you?"

She held up a 200% tip.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suhhh-weeeet!!

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as someone who is on the side of 'alternative' I will say that as we age, we really do appreciate when we are treated with the same respect as the 'normals'. and we often will show our appreciation :)

6:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Normies." Ha. I vow never to be normal.



"We'll call it...'This Land.'"

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the reason I as a server never profile anyone... Ive gotten some of my best tips from people that are in the groups that supposedly tip the worst. But I do have to say that if you treat me like crap then your level of sevice does drop a bit.


Love the blog btw :o) I've been reading for a couple months now!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I worked retail my biggest sales were to scruffy people who looked poor. I remember being ignored at a car dealer once because I didn't look like I had money so I went somewhere else and bought a new car with cash. Profiling only hurts the profiler.

7:59 AM  
Blogger misha said...

where i used to live and work tables, i knew all the tatooed and pierced people in town, so i was always guaranteed a good tip. a good deal of them have friends or themselves work in the industry. 3 of my former managers are now like "superstars" for all goth kids everywhere. The wife of someone who was in another famous band "gwar" (extremely and grossly theatrical) was a waitress at a local diner. dont know where you live, but maybe they were in a band passing by

9:43 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |