Thursday, September 14, 2006 by Ospite.


Still the slow streak. It's been hard maintaining any kind of will to wait without a groove. I find myself getting careless.

The 9top birthday party asked if they could bring in their own cake. Not an issue for us at all, until I went to light the candles. I borrowed a fellow waiter's lighter which is notoriously flamer-thrower like. This little tidbit, I had forgotten and clicked the lighter. The flame swept across the two candles, lighting both, and then igniting the frosting on the far side. The frosting lit several inches requiring me to shake the cake out.

Today wasn't much different. During our lunch "rush" I rang up a check and ran the card through. As the Customer Copy and the Merchant Copy printed out, I separated the customer copy with the itemized check. Ripping off the Merchant Copy, I circled "Merchant Copy" and put and "X" next to the signature line, and proceeded to sign my own name, place it in the book and deliver it to the table.

"Um...this is already signed."
"I'm sorry?"
"Is this my check? The part I'm supposed to sign is already signed."
I couldn't help but chuckle.
"My apologies. I kind of zoned out and signed it myself. Let me tear that up and print you a new one."
They too laughed. The tip was 20%.

This has been a week where the flow has been steadily slow, the tips average, but I have yet to have a table this week that I haven't enjoyed waiting on. At least the pathetic pace hasn't been entirely miserable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thy said...

what was in the frosting that caused it to catch fire?!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ever throw sugar into a campfire? :) Big flames.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

LMAO about signing your name on the receipt.....

I sounds like something I'd do when I'm tired.

4:49 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |