Wednesday, December 20, 2006 by Ospite.


Dre was busy in the kitchen so I ran her food out to 61. It was a couple I recognized from a previous evening along with their mother who's got to be pushing 90. I've sung to them for their anniversary and they tip well.

"So do you have a holiday song for us?"

"Sadly I don't."

"Nothing?!"

"I really don't. I'm not very good at remembering the words to Christmas carols and I don't really have anything else prepared. I'm sorry."

"That's crazy. Ave Maria?"

"I've never actually taken the time to learn that. I suppose this might drive me to do so. Let me go get you some fresh grated parmesan cheese."

They were quite nice about it, even joking that it was pathetic a musician on any level didn't have any Christmas songs performance-ready. On my way to the island with the cheese, Dre passed me.

"Hey, I ran 61, can you cheese them? I have to do a greet."

"Sure. Thanks."

I carried out my routine, rang in drinks, then the order. They were my second of two tables for the entire night before I volunteered to leave the graveyard in Christmas lights. This time of year, office lunch parties are our bank. Dinners are dead.

Dre walked over as she saw me standing against the wall trying to stay awake.

"61 is pissed at you." she exclaimed, laughing with a wide grin and quinty eyes.
"I know, I know. I don't know Christmas songs! It's humiliating for me too. I'll learn something by next year."
"You better. They're calling you the Grinch."
"Me? But my heart's not three sizes too small!"
"That may be true, but I wouldn't touch you...with a 39 and a half foot pooooole." she finished her last line singing.

I stayed fr away from table 61 for the rest of the night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jingle bells
Jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh what fun
it is to ride
in a one horse
open sleigh.

Not too tough!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think he means something that's not gay and you can actually sing to people

2:05 PM  
Blogger nola said...

you should of just made something up in italian... i thought you were creative..

8:49 PM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |