Tuesday, February 20, 2007 by Ospite.


According to my wife, I'm a huge geek. This is not new information. Between classical music, being the only vocal performance major to voluntarily take astronomy and physics in college, smoking a pipe, using Mac computers long before they were "cool," and being completely obsessed with anything written by J.R.R. Tolkien, there have been clear signs that I have a summer home in Geekdom.

Right before the third Lord of the Rings (LOTR) movie came out, a theater near us did a trilogy showing. Films one and two extended editions and a special previewing of the third. We purchased tickets two months in advance and slept in a van in the parking lot so we'd have perfect seats. This started a tradition.

Once a year, we throw a Trilogy Extravaganza. Large amounts of food, several devoted friends, and 11.36 hours of film. We've done several now, so this week we wanted something to set it aside from the rest. Authentic Hobbit meals. We gathered our information from the books. Hobbits eat the following meals daily (you know, if Hobbits were real): 1st breakfast, 2nd breakfast, Elevensies, Luncheon, Afternoon Tea, Dinner, Supper. True to form, we prepared and consumed the following meals, with many thanks to Ben and the others that aided in the cookery:

1st Breakfast: Chilled vanilla custard served with fresh peaches, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
toast with jam.

2nd Breakfast: Eggs, bacon, sauteed mushrooms,orange slices.

Elevensies: Breakfast sausage links, lembas (basically honey cakes), marinated tomatoes, plain tomatoes, cheeses, pickles, apple slices.

Luncheon: Roast chicken, roast carrots, roast potatoes, blackberry tarts

Afternoon Tea: Baby greens salad with raspberry vinaigrette, scones, tea sandwiches.

Dinner: Rabbit stew, hearty bread, butter.

Supper: Tomato soup, breaded fried mushroom croutons, and apple pie.

Beverages included ales, cider, juices, water, and Ent Draught (pineapple juice, African Rooibos Red Tea, ginger ale, and honey)

It was a very long, very filling, day.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ceetar said...

yes. you're definitely a geek. no doubt about it.

Doesn't make me any less jealous that I'm not having a party like that though.

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you not fall asleep with all that food???

4:46 AM  
Blogger Arhyarion said...

It was truly a blast.

6:30 AM  
Blogger MdG said...

PO-TA-TOES!! Boil `em, mash 'em, stick `em in a stew!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/taters.php

Did you top it all of with a good smoke?

7:14 AM  
Blogger Augs Casa said...

If there were a geek club I'd be in it also. I really enjoyed the LOTR trilogy. I own them on DVD except for the 1st one. Your Trilogy Extravaganza sounds like fun. Can I make a reservation for next years??

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really great. I'm not much of a LOTR geek but I love food. I might have to team up with my LOTR fan friends and do something similar.

9:41 AM  
Blogger you'dneverguess said...

I love this idea!! I'm envious I didn't think of it. Love Tolkien, love cooking and eating, and I AM a hobbit. Well, that's what people say anyway. Great post, I always enjoy them.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

What fun. I did a lord of the rings party last year. made a big ass pot of chile. I like your idea better. A nice brace of coneys and a rasher of bacon

10:23 AM  
Blogger Thy said...

AHHHHH ME TOOOO

i'm a huge tolkien geek. my friends and I dress up as the fellowship for halloween. And we mutter elvish under our breath.

i tried making cram, but it tasted terrible [though that could be accurate?]. next on the table is lembas!

unfortunately the lord of the rings appreciation is fading. people look at me like i'm even crazier now that no one remembers the movies. or the books.

but lord of the rings shall live onnnn!

namaarie!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do I wrangle an invitation to next year's party?

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ent Draught sounds amazing! I will definitely be trying that recipe, although to make it presentable, I may have to add rum or something ;)

11:19 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |