Tuesday, January 02, 2007 by Ospite.


It was a busy Saturday right before Christmas. Just to keep the bloody Christmas music out of my head, I was running around singing "Shine on" by Jet. It's one of my tricks to make me feel like I'm keeping pace rather than actually being frantic. But no matter what, there's always a table that throws off your groove entirely.

This one was completely oblivious to the fact there was anyone else in the restaurant. 4top with what seemed be parents and two girls, one about 25 and the other about 18.

"Can I get anyone anything to drink while you're perusing the menu?"

silence

"Ok. I'll give you a minute to look through the wine list."
"No wait, we're figuring it out."

Now, I don't mind when tables want my attention or even my time. It's why I'm there. To serve. But when I'm clearly very busy and they simply want me to stand there for 5 minutes twiddling my thumbs without actually interacting it's a bit annoying.

So, standing a bit longer, I can't help but hear the youngest girl discussing the chocolate martini she had last time she was here and she wasn't a big fan of our wine list. Finally, the 'parents' ordered a rather blasé pinot, and the younger daughter looks up at me...

"I'll have a cosmo."
"Can I see some ID?"
"....what?"
"ID, can I see some please?"
"But I'm with my mom."
"....so?"
"That means I don't have to show it to you."
"No, it doesn't change anything."
"Fine, I'll have water then."

For the rest of the meal, she continually started talking about alcohol everytime I walked by. "i had this before." "I had that before." As if that should make me cave, wipe away a tear, and toss vodka down her throat.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ceetar said...

While obviously being with your Mother doesn't make anything suddenly legal, it sounds like a typical college girl who's recently discover/been able to drink and enjoys it like many (semi) responsible adults.

We're grilled with how drinking is something to be done 'responsibly' and not to drink and drive and all that and kids are suddenly in college, taking care of themselves, and feel and in many cases are responsible. Then they're trust back into the real world on breaks and suddenly are treated like a child again.

6:57 AM  
Blogger A Margarita said...

That's a bit obnoxious. I think the problem lies with the adults. Parents need to actually "parent" their kids more. In an ideal world, there would be world peace (or at the very least mannered adults) if people actively tried to be good parents.

If only . . .

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite was the college students from out of town with there parents, from one of the states where it IS legal to drink with parents while under 21 (usually 18+). I'm looking at you NEW YORKERS.
While not known for their pleasant demeanors to start, try telling them that while in a state other than their own, they must abide by the laws of that state.
And, there is no magic sanctuary during your dear one's graduation that allows their younger sibling to break the law & drink with the family. GO HOME to celebrate if you want to booze up your teenager!

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Course, if America had a realistic drinking age. None of this would be an issue.

Old enough to elect an idiot into office. Check.

Old enough to die for said idiot. Check.

Old enough to put yourself into debt for the rest of your life. Check.

Old enough to drink. So sorry, you're not responsible enough.

-sabs-

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New York has the same laws...the legal age is 21. Parents can serve alcohol to underage drinkers in home, but it is illegal for anyone to sell alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. Either way, it doesn't matter.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I've had one of these before..."

Good for you. I, too, did a fair amount of underage drinking---in my own home, at the hands of my dad, a capable bartender. That doesn't mean I ever felt entitled to drink in a bar or restaurant. They can get in serious trouble for that sort of thing, no matter how "experienced" you like to think you are. Get a clue.

10:41 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |