Sunday, October 08, 2006 by Ospite.


I received an email today from a friend of mine in Umbria, Italy. I suppose that last post about being "just a waiter" was a tad misleading. So I decided to give you a little more detail about what I do.

I've spent ample time wandering the US, Canada, Mexico, and Italy. For the US, I was camping, sight-seeing, and checking out what we've got going on in this country in 44 states. And for those of you who complain about it...get to know more than your state, then whine to me. Canada and Mexico have been traversed for much the same reason...to get out and around. To see what there is to see. As for Italy, well, I was singing opera there.

I settled into the restaurant business because it gives me the schedule I adore. I don't have to be in till 10am and I'll wander out no later than midnight. I get all the practice and rehearsal time I need. After all that, combine it with money that pays the rest of the bills, and you've got yourself my ideal non-musical occupation.

I've spent a bit of time getting into writing and producing between here and Vegas for several other artists. I do very little performing of my own music (which is anything from jazz to jam-band or acoustic rock). So when that particualr commentor mentioned that I was looking for my personal fame at my tables, it couldn't be farther from the truth. Believe me, I get my stage time.

I have to admit, this anonymity thing is greatly enjoyable. I can kick back, say whatever's on my mind, tell you all the dirt behind my "day job" and get stuff off my chest. In the meantime, we all hopefully have a little fun doing it. I'm not waiter because I don't have any other options. I do it because I enjoy it. I write these memoirs because I enjoy it.

...and I sit with a Beck's Oktoberfest in my hand at my favorite pub which happens to have wireless internet. Life is good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just opened a Beck's Oktoberfest as well. Very good beer. Cheers to us musicians.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I want to be you. :-)
Orr maybe not...I don't know if I could keep my smart mouth in check with some of the patrons. Spank me for the dessert? Yikes...::giggle::

11:12 AM  
Blogger Thy said...

sounds like a good life

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How refreshing! Good for you.

I get SO sick of some of the other waiter blogs bitching about everything from ranch dressing to customers who ask for such outrageous things as some lemon for their water.

Yours and waiterrant are oases in the desert.

There is little more important than enjoying your work.

9:42 AM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |