Tuesday, September 04, 2007 by Ospite.


So we worked it out that I could work through the end of the week, a Thurs/Fri/Sat night string of shifts and his busiest. It's not ideal to stick around after being laid off just because there's always a little tension (or such is my guess, having never been laid off before).

The Thursday shift was decent. The Bistro has an open mic/coffee shop time on Thursdays and I'm friends with many of the people who show up. Topher took off for awhile because he was finding it awkward to bum around while I was there. He hadn't planned on me working that week till I badgered him into it, so he had overstaffed...there was no need for him there anyway.

The musician that runs the open mic is one of my cigar-smoking/guitar-toting buddies and when he set up, found there to be almost no one signed up that week, he decided that he and I should just play for the majority of the time. So I hopped on the piano and we went to town.

After some time Topher came back and was mildly pissed that I wasn't behind the bar, but I didn't get up because the three waitresses were sitting around doing nothing at all. He just shot me an evil look, to which I replied with a wave and a smile, then turned back to the keys. ...He let me go early with the girls and he closed by himself.

I walked in Friday around 4pm only to find that he was again gone. At least I didn't have to work with his seemingly dejected self. I had never seen him so bad when he finally showed up. Borderline suicidal was the best way to describe it. I pulled him aside:

"Listen, I did the math. I'm picking up a few extra shifts at the Trattoria. Would it help you if you just gave me my money from last week and last night and I got outa here?"

"Actually, yeah, it'd be a huge help."

He went straight to the cash box, pulled out a stack, coutned it out, handed it to me and that was it.

"Thanks." I said, and walked out then and there.

Next door I popped in to the Sushi Bar and sat down.

"What's goin on Waiter?"

..and I told him the whole story.

"Brutal, bro. Sashimi on the house tonight, man."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's terrible... hope things look up for you

1:14 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Well, that sucks. I've been in a similar situation myself, and I know how it sucks.

On a purely selfish note, does that mean you'll be back here, sharing your tales with us again? You have been missed!

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience, things like this usually end up working out for the better!

What is "sishima"?

4:00 PM  
Blogger Manuel said...

Feel for you man. You get any other plans? If you need cheering up have a look at my new blog thingy...


I CAN HAS WAYTERZ?

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. I know what sashimi is, I thought he meant something different (that I needed to try!)

1:24 PM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |