Tuesday, October 24, 2006 by Ospite.


I was back on the floor. I had turned over my section when I discovered that two new people were running the show up front, one of those was brand spanking new. I'm talking, this was her first training shift. The other was Nicolai. Then the Jackal showed up. She's been intentionally removed from the front and repositioned as the person in charge of to-going food. Tonight, some how she had ended up on the host staff. And she's the last person who should be training a new recruit.

We have one waiter who we like to call Usher due to the startling resemblence when he's out of uniform. He was stationed to-going last evening which he was pissed about. So, having turned over my section and being totally empty, I switched with him so I could keep an eye on the hosts.

Let's just say it got so chaotic that I was again switched over to host and the Jackal was transported to my previous area. She was mildly pissed that she was told I could do her job better. Ok, mildly is the understatement of the year.

We got the floor cleaned up and organized what was going on. After that, we rearranged the outflow from the kitchen. What took the two of us about 20 minutes to do, The Jackal couldn't do in 2 hours.

The rest of the night was boring. I wish that I could make the money up front that I'd make on the floor. I suppose that I'm making it better for us servers in the long run, having a host staff that can actually run a floor. Too bad I don't get tipped for The greater Good.

4 Comments:

Blogger First Year said...

That sucks, I'm sorry. I never got why restaurants kept around such worthless people. I guess it comes down to a heartbeat and the ability to show up consistently.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there. First of all, I just want to say that I really admire your work on this blog, and I enjoy reading it on a consistent basis. As my name suggests, I am a college dropout who moved back to Baltimore. I am currently living with my parents, but that is only until I save up enough money to move out into an apartment. I was studying opera in school; I was a baritone, but for personal reasons, I had to withdraw, and move back home. I am starting a blog because I was really inspired by your work here, and I was hoping that would be willing to add it to your links. The website is http://dropoutwaiter.blogspot.com. I would love to hear from you and hopefully I can start getting a following with my brand new blog as well. Thanks so much for listening to me, and I hope to hear from you soon.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep it in mind. when you have a host/hostess that does a good job for you, consider sharing part of your tips for the night.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Jackal said...

The bitch...she'll give me a bad name!!

9:35 PM  

« Home | Post a Comment »

At your service, Ospite

I am not in the restaurant business, I am in the people business. I use every opportunity to people watch, because to me, even the most mundane is fascinating.

lackluster profile

Powered by Blogger |